Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This place is The Pitts!




Fallout 3, the winner of 5 “Greggies”! My own brand of game rewards. (difference between these awards and others being thatthe designers dont really care about Greggies)

1.Game of the year 2008
2.Best for keeping me sane during unemployment
3.Coolest game in which you get to nail a mutants head to the wall at long range
4.Best supporting dog (was a close competition, Fable 2 came in 2nd as theirs was straight up annoying!)
5.OMG IT'S LIAM NEESON!!!!!11oneone


With the release of the first DLC I got very excited, at last something new to do during my 3rd runthrough.... But operation anchorage was a bit of a disappointment. It was short, it was really rather dull, and I got shot up before I could get all the shiny loot on my favourite (evil) character.

When the Pitt was released I set off the download in the morning before I went to work, dearly hoping that it would revitalise my love of the game. And that it did. (After i had re-downloaded it due to Bethesda releasing a graphically effed up version on release day. Round of applause for that one)

One could argue that equipping the player with a circular saw that turns “Meanie mutant” into “Badguy smoothie” is bound to draw players back, or deeper, into obsession, and one would be right. Lopping off limbs with a portable circular saw-cum-angle grinder is just plain, unadulterated, gratuitous awesomeness!

The story-line is generic RPG stuff... You follow a radio signal to a chap who needs your help and you agree to go on with it, because hey, its not like you have anything else to do. you go off and are wonderfully railroaded through the next few hours of gameplay and it's a sublime ride.

Your journey through The Pitt sees you completing a surprisingly enjoyable collection quest, a pit fight, a couple of “go here talk to them” type quests and a good bit of fighting that, thanks to the new melee weapon, is a blast.

This expansion was everything operation anchorage wasn't, and everything fallout 3 should be. I have the new expansion downloaded now and, dependent on time (and my continual addiction to resident track and field 5) I may get a review of that up soon.

I considered rating games at the end, then decided i wouldn't as i could be told I'm wrong or be held responsible for someone buying what they see to be a crappy game.

Peace out

G

If war never changes.... it's clothing expenses must be nominal





No comments:

Post a Comment